Saturday, February 17, 2018

Is it spring yet?

My garden, the human-interfered part at least, begs to differ.Thingsthere are still brown and dusty. But in the  larger world, things are waking up.This Saturday  then, I am focusing on those bits of the land that clearly have a much better gardener than I.
1.  The Gentians are out! Not peaking yet, that will happen a couple of weeks later. But enough to bring that surge of happiness one gets when one sees a loved friend.
2.  And the Hypericum is  sending out new growth in such lovely muted colours. Look  closely and there's grey, purple, red and yellow along with  the green.
3. And there is this. Very pretty little flowers that grow in the shade. The  flowers attract pollinators and  are slightly fragrant; it is the roots that  are highly scented. I usually find it growing in cool and dampish walls. The leaves are oval with a blunt  end..something like a drop, with the narrow end near the stem. The source I usually refer to calls it a Valerian, but the leaves don't match up. Does anyone know this?
4.  I have planted two grape cuttings begged from a neighbour. They are planted in large pots, on either side of our door. The idea is to train them up the west wall where they will live happily ever after. Please do keep your fingers crossed that  they'll root!
5.The spirea is unfolding it's buds. These are always the first of my shrubs to leaf out, and I love the promise they bring.
6. And finally, Help!! Something is eating my azalea buds.The same dastardly creature also ate my hydrangea buds last summer. It  just takes a bite of each bud,and when the flowers open they are disfigured. I have hunted in the plants and cannot find anything like a caterpillar.And my garden is too dusty and dry for snails and slugs. Please help!



 This weekly event- of showcasing six things from one's garden- is hosted by The Propagator. Please do head on over to  his blog. Reading the other six-on-saturday posts is a lovely bit of weekly garden visiting I have become quite addicted to!


8 comments:

Lora Hughes said...

Your grape vine idea has me interested - will they stay in pots? What a wonderful idea. The mystery plant is lovely as well. Hope you get a proper introduction.

Fred said...

Many unanswered questions sorry ... this plant with id is unknown to me. About your azalea buds eaten, I guess it could rather be an insect. I had one of those in my hydrangea 2 years ago when I didn't have many buds ... look for that side maybe...
Will your vine give a white or black grape? If you had some roots, I think it will be fine.

Chicu said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chicu said...

That is the plan, to keep them in pots. Do you think it will work with some intensive feeding and pruning? Though right now, I just hope they will root!

Chicu said...

Hmm..could be an insect. How did you tackle your hydrangea nibbler? I don't have roots yet-took cuttings. Keeping fingers crossed!

Green Fingered Blogger said...

I've grown a grapevine in a pot before, once they're established they should be fine. They don't need too much feeding either, just watering according to your climate.

Chicu said...

That's reassuring! Thank you.

JohnK said...

You don't have the odd parakeet in the area do you? Alexandrine parakeets are found in India and they have a habit of nibbling buds. They may be difficult to see but you'll usually hear them easily once they arrive in numbers.

My vine is growing in a large pot. I water it regularly and give it a sloshing of liquid feed twice a year in its growing season. It produces about 10 bunches of grapes each year which the blackbirds take just before they're ripe enough to pick.

Post a Comment